Starting up a non-profit company in the United Kingdom
If you're considering setting up a charity/non-profit in the UK, you will need to be aware that there is a slightly different process for you to take note of.
We have broken it down into six steps for you:-
- Firstly, Find at least three trustees for your charity.
- Make sure the charity/non-profit understands and will adhere to the government’s rules on having a business for charitable purposes.
- The fund part - choose a name for your company.
- Choose a structure from the government’s four recommended charity structures. Create a governing document (rulebook) for your charity, which explains how the company runs to trustees.
charitable incorporated organisation (CIO)
charitable company (limited by guarantee)
- Create a governing document (rulebook) for your charity, which explains how the company runs to trustees
- If you can prove your charity’s annual income will be more than £5,000 a year or classifies as a charitable incorporated organisation, you can now formally register as a charity with the Charity Commission.
Our sister company Admin and More have lots of experience working with Charities and offer a special rate if you need any assistance email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on what we can do for you.